Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I Don't Understand

In some ways this is the condensed version of a previous post and in some ways it's an expansion. In a nutshell I have a stalker. This person has an obsession with me and will not give up... in spite of 3 relationships. Not sure what I can do to convince this person that I am not interested. A few weeks ago things escalated with them. A more detailed synopsis can be found here. This post really isn't about my relationship them it's about my relationship with my mom.

The whole thing has left me with the phrase, "I don't understand" constantly going through my mind. I thought that parents were supposed to actually look out for the well-being of their children... even believe what they have to say. Instead she keeps trying to convince me that he is really just a good friend, even to the point of arguing with me.

I must say that if someone I knew (whether it was family, friend, acquaintance) said that they had a stalker and that this person had made them feel fear in their own home my reaction would have been much different. My first reaction would be to find out if they were okay and to make sure they were safe at that moment. Second to that would be to find out if they wanted to file a police report and if so if they wanted moral support.

It is not something to be taken lightly. And if someone feels threatened like that the last thing I would want to do is defend the other person and try to convince them that it wasn't true. Other people may have limited exposure to what's going on but really don't see the inner dynamics of the relationship. The victim sees it... and lives it.... and if they feel intimidated/bullied/harrassed by someone the last thing we should do is make them thing they're wrong and it's all in their head. Ultimately that just gives the stalker more power and makes the other person feel even more victimized.

Back to my mother though... I don't understand how she can simply say what a good friend he is when she knows next to nothing about him. She's met him for all of 5 minutes and that was about 3 years ago. Yes I make use of him to take me grocery shopping and what not... mainly because he won't leave me alone any ways... there have to be some perks. But that does not make a good friend. Let's make a list of all the things he's done that do not make for good friends.

  • A good friend does not take advantage of you sexually when you're drunk and can't legally consent
  • A good friend does not show up randomly, uninvited (now there are some friends that I would accept that from but that's because they won't show up ALL the time)
  • A good friend does not try to break up your relationships so that you'll have more time for them
  • A good friend does not try to prevent you from having a relationship
  • A good friend does not make you feel claustrophibic where you see them so often that no one else seems to get your time
  • A good friend accepts the fact that "no" really means no and allows you to move on.... without clinging to some hope that no might really become yes if you wait long enough
  • A good friend can accept the fact that maybe it really is about them
  • A good friend is not manipulative, controlling, and obsessive
  • A good friend will not introduce fear into your home and make you scared
So, he's just a good friend? Mom even got mad at me when a week later I was ignoring him. Went back to trying to convince me that he was just trying to be a good friend and that he had no one... So I must be the mean one. Mmm kay.... I just don't understand.... And maybe that's a good thing. It means I'm not like her.

No comments:

Counter


View My Stats