Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Law & Order: SVU

I was watching Law and Order: SVU tonight... well it's still currently on... and there was an interesting statistic. They said that if you are raped then you are 7x more likely to be raped again. That is a really interesting statistic. Makes me wonder why that would be the case. Is it related to personality... fear... PTSD... social networks... support systems.... something else? We can always hypothesize but we'll never really know for sure. It's not like we can actually do an experiment to find out. I believe there are a number of factors... I come from a broken home with abuse, never knowing who to trust. I had no support system and my friends were more on the surface then anything else. That was what set me up for disaster in the first place... I trusted the wrong person. I thought people were good. And I got burned. Then I vowed that I wouldn't trust anyone... that no one could have the power to hurt me. But I didn't care about myself and walked into some bad situations trying to prove to myself that I wasn't a victim. And ended up becoming a victim all over again. It was all too easy to blame myself because I didn't fight back... and in some cases I didn't openly say no. The most f'ed up part is that I actually find myself somewhat relieved that it happened to me instead of someone else. I know that's my own self-worth issues and that undoubtedly relates back to the statistic I mentioned at the beginning of the post.

No comments:

Counter


View My Stats